Book Review: Shadow Puppets by Orson Scott Card



Shadow Puppets
by
Orson Scott Card

4-star Rating




REVIEW:

If you are unaware that I'm a dedicated fan of Ender's Game, much less Ender's Shadow; count yourself as one of those I am not really close to. However, if you liked this series without knowing that I do as well, well then, consider yourself as one of those I'm planning to chat with like no end

Bean-or better yet Jullian Delphiki is cute no more. The theoretical effects of Anton's Key are gradually revealing. From a small child Bean, now he's growing to be like a giant. Contrary to the physical growth, the genius-ness is still in him without any change... and the enemy is still acting around

It starts with a doubtful move. Peter Wiggins decides to rescue Achilles from being a prisoner of China to use his knowledge for personal--Hegemony--purposes. His freedom has become a threat to Bean's and Petra's life. So as Petra and Bean try to escape from the deadly monster Achilles, would they able to escape from him successfully... or will they able to stop Hegemony’s insanity over using Achilles

Bean embraces me back as once I again I read another book from his series. Frankly, my excitement over this book has subsided since it was already, as if, decade before I able to continue reading Bean's journey. However, even millennium is nothing if the author himself knows how to bring back the hype that has been lost in you through doing great with his book. The moment I read the first ten pages, I'd been as if brought back to the day I read the prequel book of this title. Then I came across with a philosophy: The quality of story to how would it make you depends not on reading interval of books of a certain series, rather depends on how brilliant and creative the author is at making his books worth praising

Finally, Orson Scott Card has break through the glass of risk. On my part, it's really hard to get over a character when it seemed stricken your preference deeply. And of course, on the other hand, this book started to expose what the main character should go through gradually as he gets older. A risk indeed when apparently followers have deeply fallen into the previous Bean's image. Unfortunately, I did find the transition very rough, for I finished the prequel with him as still a kid and I did open this book with him as a young man. Figuratively, Bean as I said is an image of bravery and justice. Eventually, this book opposed my philosophy but I prefer to think of it as part of his sudden maturity

The story might just be about warring of different countries. But to root out what's behind it, there are many things that push it to go through... War is the effect of fear to become inferior among nations. War is the effect of culture differences. And war is the effect of people who are greedy of power and superiority above all nations

As I was expecting before, Petra played a deeper role in this series. However, as this series go further, other characters are being put onto a spotlight as well. Thus it tends to cover up the space Bean should have. But, I'm glad that somehow Bean's shown ups are greatly impressive, for every time he shows up he always did think maturely and act sensibly

If I consider Ender's Shadow as a butt-stapler, called Shadow of the Hegemon as political knowledge starter, I believe that it is rational to say that this book is a Goosebumps-spelling reminder. Yes, all the books of this series--the ones I read so far--are considerably great. But to point out what book among them made my hair stood perfectly, I think this is the one. Because honestly speaking, the moment this book evoked my excitement as I went onwards, all I did was to drop my jaw and be amazed. Though everything has gone mature, their intelligence is still irreplaceable and the clever twists are still unimaginable.


I consider that this book is partly a revelation and a conclusion. First, this book reveals who is the real intelligent because Card magnificently bomb my face up that their gifts have still limitations. And I admire him for it just suggests how still imperfect they are and how still human they are. Lastly, this is a great spoiler but as I said everything has gone mature and everything will end up through Bean's mind and hand. And I'm glad how I found a lesson in this book: sometimes, we must change and kill for everybody’s peace. Brutal but true.


So far, neither books of this series has ruined my expectations, slide down my excitement as i was reading, and of course, failed to impress me deeply. So I don't think a question should arise why this book mounted over the hills of other great books in my field of books. Everything is explained and this series really suits me.

Comments

Oto said…
You reminded me that I need to read Ender's Ahadow. Ender's Game is however, is one of my favorite books; I've read it twice now.
Rollie said…
Oto: Hello there. I think you really need to read Ender's Shadow though it's just a parallel book of Ender's Game but in Bean's POV throughout Ender's Game.

Popular Posts