Book Review: Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Blood Red Road
by
Moira Young
5-star Rating
REVIEW:


This is indeed a great book. Special thanks to my friend Maria for letting my eyes get into the pages of this book.

On a midwinter day, when the sun sets low they were born. Lugh, handsome and shines like a sun, was born first; whereas Saba, beautiful like a darkness of night, followed after two hours. The twins lived bonded to each other in an isolated place named Silverlake. As they continue to grow, they realized how much neither of them was worthy to live if either would be separated away from another

And in a sudden, it all happens in a very unprepared day. A sandstorm has visited their place and brisk soldiers have been behind it. Lugh has been taken away and Saba is left behind with a memory of her mother, body of her dead father and, of course, her gawdfowsaken sister—Emily

A month, I think, was consumed before I finished reading this book. A negative word to reason out the period of time objects how I honestly felt towards the book, much less how I rated it. It's not easy to comprehend unlike memorizing one-plus-one-equals-to-two kind compared reading a perspective of an illiterate narrator. Fortunately, I neither did find it annoying nor disgusting. On the contrary, it instead served me as a challenge on how probably would I bite the wrongness of the character's perception. In fact, it dared me more to point out the flaws instead of applying them for myself.

However, I can't figure out any slight knowledge that suits the reason why Saba is illiterate. Speaking up about her isolation? Well, it hadn't bought me enough and I have many thoughts to counteract that weak reasoning. If there's evolution of language and writing, wouldn't it be great and factual to be more futuristic, as this book represents, than leaping back to Stone Age? Lucky for it being the first of the series because it has still a long bloody road to go before the end, and I might find the reason while I'm on my way

The places are amazingly reconstructed. But then, Young has given hints on what places are they at present era. If there is a thing to consider for myself that justifies being a dystopia, I guess it's the unique names that the characters have. In addition, though I don't really like crows, I love how Young associated the main characters journey with a savior crow. Another thing, I was touched at how Saba, being a mean and evil against her little sister, turned a protector and so did Emily towards Saba. Furthermore, Emily as a younger sister never failed to get my attention. Though sometimes unruly, she showed a more fearless persona than Saba

Moira Young did a good job at making Saba's character--hard and potent. No doubt, it lines up among Katniss Everdeen, Beatrice Prior and other female dystopia protagonists. In fact, this book has been compared to Hunger Games of Suzzanne Collins and The Knife of Never Letting Go. To be honest, I'm one of them, unfortunately. I'm very much glad that in a way, my personal view on how would have it ended had failed. To clear things out and at the same time my conclusion: this book is neither just about running; nor just about arena or cage fighting; it's more not less an epic adventure of a lady who was dependent, weak and just a follower who turned to be a strong, independent instigator. Likewise, this is neither Hunger Games nor The Knife of Never Letting Go but just a very mere Blood Red Road.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice! to think it took you time to finish BRR :) great rev, Rollie!
Rollie said…
Thank you so much Chilla. :)

Popular Posts