Book Review: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
3-star rating

REVIEW:

King Roland is dying and he’s supposed to choose among his two sons who’ll take his crown next to him as a king. Would it be Prince Peter, who he admires the most for the excellence he’s achieving on his lessons; or his second and youngest son, Prince Thomas, whom he relates himself during the days he was the age of Thomas?

Everything is planned to whom will King Roland pass his throne and even the people of Dellain has approved on King’s choice. But in a trick of fate everything changes—from the life of king to the lives of his sons. Unknowingly that behind it is Flagg, the King’s adviser.

It’s been six years already, if my calculation is not betraying me, since Stephen King and I had our first meet. And at that time, he introduced me his The Shining. That book really impressed me a lot and because of that, I promised myself to read more King’s books. So when I saw this book in our used-books bookstore here in the Philippines, it got my interest. Stephen King is known for his pee-on-pants kind of books. So when I saw this, it kinda intrigued me.

Unlike the last time we met, this one hasn’t been memorable as the first one did. His story this time hasn’t been as convincing as before. This book isn’t convincing as The Shining. King made a space between reader and the story for him to fill-in.

This might sound absurd but I can’t get myself into a story once I know there’s a standing barrier between the interaction of myself, as a reader, and the book. And the author stands amidst between the story and that results the story to get more unconvincing.  He did himself an involvement in this book as if to remind the reader that he’s the story teller of this book and I really dislike that kind of story narration when it comes to books.

However, I still like story if I were to judge just the story. It possesses different lessons to kind of people and situations. I liked how this book give point to what the faith really is. No matter what the majority says if you’re heart opposes it and still you believe to your heart that it is right, you have the “it” of faith then.

I liked also how King puts deeper a word “friendship” into this book. This book dignifies friendship, love, trust and forgiveness.

Comments

Popular Posts