Book Review: The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

5-star rating

SYNOPSIS:
But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.

Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.

Which is impossible.

Prentisstown has been lying to him.

And now he's going to have to run...

REVIEW:

 What if you’re in another world; another planet? What if you haven’t seen a woman before? What if you hear people’s thought; what if animals’ too? What if you’re living with aliens? What if…what if… your dog talks?

Harry James Potter the boy who lived.

Katniss Everdeen the girl on fire.

And finally: Todd Hewitt the boy who can’t kill?

Well, I was hesitant to buy this book actually, for despite of the reason why I really wanted to read this book because of its 5-star ratings received from most of my friends, I was disappointed when suddenly I read the neg reviews of some of my friends. But apparently, I bought the book--for this reason:
I want to feel what they felt when they read this. If they were disappointed at this book, I would also want too. And so does the other way. And I want to know their reasons. And here comes my time to judge.

Patrick Ness made a heavy, strong character named Todd Hewitt. Since Ness used first person point of view, this has to be Todd’s—the main protagonist—perspective. Ness created different firm characters in terms of consistency with their personalities.

Furthermore, the story possesses deep substances that could unleash reader’s different powerful emotions. You will laugh from the simple and natural lines that the characters have. You will hate, scream, loath, punch and throw a fire in wrath. You will cry as if you’re broken-hearted, and hardly move-on.

The author created a unique world wherein he could play the characters, places, time, etc. in a more realistic way. This book proves one thing:

Magic isn’t just the one that can create new amazing Haven.


There are just questions that I need immediate answers:

What was the effing problem with Viola when they were still at Prentisstown? She didn’t talk and I thought she was a mute. And right after they reached the next town, she was like as if said: Hello I’m Viola and tadahhh! I’m not mute and stop asking why I didn’t talk.

I don’t know if this is right to ask this: Why the misspelled words of Todd wasn’t Italicized? I was like one who was illiterate at first, thinking what the words mean.eg. stayshun, creacher.

They have thirteen months, right? What month is next to December, then? 

Comments

Popular Posts